Halloween is just around the corner and what better way to celebrate it than with some frighteningly delicious traditional Pumpkin Pies from Lesvos? Trust us, they will definitely make your celebrations spookier and tastier.
…make them only if you dare.
Ingredients for 24 pies:
- 1 roll of short crust pastry or similar
- 500gr yellow pumpkin in small pieces
- 80gr rice
- 100gr sugar
- 1gr cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1tps extra virgin olive oil Mia Elia
- Boil the pumpkin for 20’ minutes over medium heat till it softens.
- Add the rice and boil for 10 minutes. Our mixture shouldn’t have any water left.
- At the end add the sugar, cinnamon, olive oil over and leave over low heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Set it aside to cool.
- Cut the pastry in squares 6-8cm
- Add a teaspoon of the filling in the center of every square. Turn the edges of the pastry inward towards the edge across and repeat for the other two edges.
- When all small pies are ready you can either bake for 70-80 minutes, until golden in a preheated oven to 170* C (338* F) Fan or fry.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and cinnamon.